There's a show in Cleveland that I'd really like to go to this Saturday... Bear Hands and Broken Spindles... I checked out Broken Spindles, and they aren't exactly my taste, but still a decent band, and Bear Hands is a band I checked out quite awhile ago and took a real liking to.
I just haven't been to a show in awhile, and this one is only 7 bucks... Unfortunately, with gas prices being as they are, I have to pay for my own gas to go places for fun, and I don't have the money in my account to get to Cleveland and back...
Which brings me to my next point. Try as I might, I cannot find a job... now, granted, I haven't been looking as hard as I am able, and I haven't applied for anything in the food service industry, but I've filled out quite a few online apps.
You know what really gets me... is those stupid online apps that it takes you 45 minutes to fill out just to have them tell you that you aren't what they are looking for right now... because maybe you misread one of their ridiculous personality questions and put down the wrong answer... ugh.
I really think those personality assessments are crap and a half. All you need to know about me is that I'm a 21 year old college student with a 3.68 cumulative gpa, and I've never been in a physical fight, I've never failed a course in my life, never shoplifted, and I don't get in trouble... I've never gotten arrested, never written up at work, never even had a detention in my life. What more could you want out of an employee?
I have yet to visit half price books... now that's number one on my "perfect summer jobs of '08" list. English majors love their bookstores. Wish me luck with that one.
If you're bored and home from school like I am for the summer, or if you've just finished high school because you're a senior and you get out early... or if you just haven't found a summer job yet... might I suggest a couple movies...
Lars and the Real Girl
- this is an amazing movie for which Ryan Gosling and screenplay writer Nancy Oliver received various nods for... and deservingly so. Ryan Gosling's character, Lars, is extremely complex and Ryan nailed the part... The movie also has the ever adorable Paul Schneider in it... It just blows my mind with every new scene that one of the central characters, Bianca, isn't even alive, but actually becomes a character, actually has a life of her own.
Winter Passing
- Zooey Deschanel is absolutely beautiful, even if her character plays someone who is doing nothing close to beautiful... She plays the daughter of a reclusive writer, who goes home to find her father, but instead finds two very interesting people living in his house. It's just one of those, "everyone has their own issues, and together we can deal" movies... which I love. Ed Harris does a great job at being a reclusive and absentee father... but it is Will Ferrell that I loved most in his role. I personally love Will Ferrell movies, Anchorman, Elf, Talladega Nights, etc. But I've heard over and over that Ferrell plays the same character in each of these movies... and it's somewhat true... Winter Passing is a completely different portrayal of Ferrell... he plays a washed up Christian rockstar, who is socially disabled... believe it or not, his character, Corbit, it a quiet and sensitive guy... don't believe me? Watch it for yourself...

No comments:
Post a Comment