Saturday, July 5, 2008

Worth the Wait

I am sunburnt. Just my arms and face... but it hurts and itches and I'm very unhappy about it.

A couple of my girls are getting summer dresses on and causing a ruckus tonight.


I was riding home from my Grandma's house today... and listening to some great music... and just thinking about different things while watching the scenery out the window... I love doing that.

I always come up with random parts and pieces of a poem I really want to write and that I think will be really genius if I can just figure out the rest of the damn thing.

I need to just go somewhere and write one of these days, because I have a brain block at my house... I think that my house is cursed... I can't write anything worthwhile here, and I can't sleep when I have to sleep alone in my bed... I really have gotten used to the comfort of sleeping in a dorm with hundreds of other people far above the ground level... I'm just having the English major writing block of the century here.

My friend called me today. She needed advice about guys... I'm not really that great with that kind of advice, but I did the best I could... and I just realized once I got off the phone... that I absolutely LOVE to help my friends... even if all I can do is really listen to them... I know that no matter what I have this core group of beautiful, fabulous, smart, and loyal girls that will always be there when I need them... even when I go back to school in the fall and they're hours away.

Here, I'm gonna mix some of the excerpts up that I came up with today... let's see what happens.

This poem is called... "We Own the Summer"

I am
the sugar in your black coffee
melting into your arms,
making you sweeter.

You are
the heartbeat under my hand
when I'm afraid
to close my eyes.

You attempt
not to get sand in your shoes,
and I try
not to bend the blades of grass
with every step.

We are
two trees together but alone
in a field, roots
entwined underneath.
Brushing branches and leaves
with every breeze.

We own the sun,
that peeks red
over the horizon
and turns red
our pale skin.



Haha... well, what do you think? I think my writer's block might be gone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this poem is pretty, sweet and im officially jealous of youre poetess self.
it might be almost as good as the rock star one <3