Well, I didn't want to write about my first day of class, until I had a first week of class. Today was the second of my two Milton classes for the week, my third class with a wonderful professor, who will remain nameless. Haha.
Tuesday was my first day of classes, and I had a lot of people who were treating it as if it were my first day of kindergarten... This is probably because I was acting a little bit like it was my first day of kindergarten. I was super nervous. I left at 12:15 p.m. The drive, according to Google maps, was supposed to take 55 minutes, and class started at 2 p.m. Haha. I'm a dork. I pulled into my parking space at 1:20 p.m., because I got a little bit lost on Fairmount circle trying to find the campus. I got a really good parking spot (both days actually), and I found my classroom rather quickly.
So, here I go into class thinking that there are only 5 people in the course, because that's how many were signed up online. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that this meant that the rest of the course is made up of undergraduate students. You know how every time you get older, you make fun of the age group that you were just in? Well, I'm about to do that. I didn't quite fit in, because I didn't have my North Face jacket or my giant quilted bag to carry all my belongings in. :)
The class itself was good. I never thought Milton was worth anything, but apparently he wrote a TON of stuff. He's also very relevant to a Jesuit university. My professor is extremely smart, but she wouldn't blow me away until my next class.
The school I'm attending is very very small. Compared to Akron, it has the volume level of a library, except for in the little dining room where they blare 107.9. Normally, I love this station, but in a room with old men, gossiping girls, and nerdy Asian students, I don't really feel comfortable hearing "You wanna see some ass, I wanna see some cash." I did eat a WONDERFUL sandwich from Einstein bagels, which I've never tried before. You see, Tuesday is my long day. I have a 3 hour break between classes, and with an hour commute, I have no need to go back home.
After food and boredom, I went to an orientation. It was uneventful. That's really all I can say about it. Nothing happened. Actually, I take that back, I got some information, including a fold out card from the Health Services place with the guy from Operation on it. It talked about STI awareness and GYN services.
Then, I had my Chaucer class. This is where said professor knocked my socks off with her impeccable Middle English. If ever I met someone who could speak this dialect fluently, it was her. She also remembered me from the earlier class I attended, a very good sign.
Today, I had Milton again. I need to get out of my comfort zone and just speak up, because right now, I'm still that shy nerd that gets completed intimidated by the jocks sitting and snickering behind me. I also hate when I have a thought in my head, don't offer it, and then the professor says it. I am smarter than I give myself credit for sometimes.
The title of the blog? Well, it's a Modest Mouse song. It also represents my crazy life right now. I have three part-time jobs, go to school full-time, and I'm hoping to purchase and drive home a new car tomorrow night. I took it for a spin and talked a bit about details today, but we'll see how things work out tomorrow. I feel like I'm scything through any obstacle that comes my way!! Exciting.
Friday, January 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment