It's extremely hard to celebrate love and feel loss at the same time. It's like your heart is twisting itself in all these different directions and you're just trying to keep up. One minute you're crying, the next you're laughing... and it's okay, because everyone else is doing the same thing.
A few days ago, a really good friend of mine passed away. It was something we all had thought we were prepared for... he had been in the hospital for a month and a half. But you can't really prepare yourself for that kind of thing. His calling hours were Tuesday night, and they were the hardest thing I've had to do in my life. It's easier when someone old dies... but when someone my age dies... it just seems unfair. Amidst the sorrow and pain I felt, I exchanged memories with friends... and laughed while crying. After the calling hours, a bunch of our friends went to the bar to celebrate his life and to grieve. Everyone shared this same feeling... even with the people I had never met who were there... I felt connected to them.
Today, I read a blog one of my best friends wrote about this friend that died... she didn't know him, and the blog wasn't really about him, but more about how she wanted to live her life more fully because of the stories we told about him.
That he can inspire people in his death makes me even more proud of his life.
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment